Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fargin' bored...

Ugh...just a blah day. I haven't been out of the house since Thursday for a gyno appt...like you all really needed to know that. I don't care. That's life. We all have to do it, us womens. Anyway, the short trip to Sugar Grove and back just didn't cut it for me. I was going to go grocery shopping last night, but the round of freezing rain put a halt to that. Then, I was going to try today...again, thanks, freezing rain...

Now I can't do anything with my blog (review comments, change layout) except post, apparently, so that's what I'm doing. I'm way bored.

I need some new clothes. I've been wearing the same s@#t for two years! So where do I go? My options are Wal-Mart or Fashion Bug. Yay. I couldn't be more thrilled. Wal-Mart has a pretty sad selection. I always see the normal size ladies department has pretty sundresses and flowery tank tops, cute cut offs, strappy sandals...things like that. What do us bigger women get? "Oooo, Doris - check out that moo moo! That's a nice daisy pattern, isn't it? Ooo, and look at that one with the geometric shapes! This one has horizontal stripes - I hear they're in this season! Oh, and look! They even have color coordinated orthopedic sneakers! Look over there - they're running a special on knee-highs!"

And what's up with Fashion Bug, anyway? There are two doors - one up front for the juniors/sizes 0-14. Sizes 16+: there's big letters on the right side of the building that say: "Fashion Bug PLUS" with an arrow pointing around the corner to the back of the building for that door, which I'm assuming is the service entrance. Thanks for keeping it discreet, FB. Like I can fake it anyway. Why do they have to segregate us? It's like a racist thing or something. I guess they don't want the smaller chics mingling in with us and going, "Ewww! What is she doing here??"

And bras - forget it. That's so embarrassing when you find your size and realize it might be confused with a large purse. And they ususally come in two colors - white or ivory. Then the clothes racks are so close together. You have to turn sideways and sashay through everything. Meanwhile, you're knocking clothes off the racks and bumping into things when you bend over to clean up your mess. Then the little 90-lb. cashier comes running over and goes, "Do you, like, need help or something?" So I stand up and end up bumping her back a few feet; she lands on her ass and I have to pick her up, poor thing. Now I have to apologize, "I'm so sorry, I didn't even see you. No, really, here - I'm stronger - I'll pick the rack up. Yes, and I'll hang all the clothes back up on it, too. Oh, you have a customer at your register. And will you tell that girl that thing is not a hangbag? What's the cup size on it? If it's a triple G, hang on to it for me!"

*sigh* I hate being fat. Everyone's always like, "No, you are NOT fat! Don't say that." Ok, I'm not. I just have big boobs, big arms, big legs, and a belly. But my neck is in shape, you know...so that's a good thing...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I know it's upsetting, it is good to know I'm not the only one that looks at a clothes aisle like it's a freakin' "Mission Impossible: Clothes Shopping" obstacle course. I don't know much about the "sashay" but I have gotten pretty good at walking sideways because of it. Lol.

I busted a gut reading this blog. In fact, I laughed so hard that I read it twice. I too hate being fat and get even more irritated when someone clearly suffering from anorexia tries to convince me otherwise. I guess the upside to being fat is that everyone expects the big guy to be lazy and slow-moving so I always look like a hard-worker and an over-achiever? Right.

I don't think it would be too difficult to make the "small people clothes" for big people (just sew in a few extra inches of material). Is this an epiphany or just logical thinking? I buy good clothes from AE and Old Navy, but it doesn't look quite as good as it would if I weren't "swollen".

Here is a "plus", for real. Bigger people generally have better personalities and good humor. Maybe we're the "normal ones"? Yes, small people are starved for food just as much as they are starved for intellect. Man, now who's racist? Alright, I'm kidding. I've never been segregated in a store. Then again, most of my shopping is done online. As far as the "large purse", one could use it as a hammock on a warm, summer day.

Jess said...

Sister, I feel your pain!! It is so disappointing to find something you really like but it just doesn't come in your size. Or to find something but find your size is gone but all the XSmall and Small sizes are still there...hmm, you'd think the stores would take the hint as to what's actually selling!? I appreciate the stores that seem to make the effort to try and sell to us "bigger" girls, but why is it only online usually? Trying to hide us away or something? Don't want us in the store? Geez! I will tell you thought, Maurice's (only select ones) started selling Plus sizes too. And as for FB, it almost seems sometimes like they think we're a joke! Some of the clothes in there are so "old lady" or cheaply made that I won't even go in there anymore! I am addicted to Old Navy still though...SOMETIMES they get it right! AE and Aeropostale could take a hint from them! I'm not an old lady...I want to dress my age!

As a fellow "You're not fat." Fat girl...I salute you! And just want you to know that I'm right there with you, I know the truth too! You're a gorgeous woman and a great mommy, and it doesn't sound like you're lacking much in the romance department! Keep up the good work, it's always nice to hear it said so eloquently!

Alternative Reality said...

Ah, but Jen -- you are absolutely BEAUTIFUL and I love you!

Jenifer Williams said...

Thanks, you guys! I appreciate the commradery and the great compliments! Life is frustrating enough without having to worry about what you'll wear to stare it in the face on a daily basis, ya know? You are all beautiful - love ya (or in the words of Gabby, "Yav-ya!")!!