Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Prima Ballerina

So I bought this workout video called '10 Minute Solutions - Dance It Off & Tone It Up' by Jennifer Galardi. "Perfect!" I thought. "Who doesn't have at least 10 minutes everyday to dedicate to working out? I at least have that. And I took dance lessons, so it will be easy." I have been doing 3 of the 10 minute sessions at least 2-3 times per week, coupled with my time on the X-Flex. But I find myself at a loss for words when I am trying to watch Jennifer's routine and mimic it at the same time... I HAVE LOST MY COORDINATION!!!! How can this possibly be?? I took dance class for 6 years! Ok, I know that's not nearly as long as my sister, LeAnne, took it (at least double my time), but I was pretty decent. I got moved up after my first year and never, ever had a problem keeping up and getting the routine down to perfection. I loved it so much, and (I hope) it showed. I quit after my 10th grade year so that I could work. Could I have done both? Probably, but that's besides the point.

I remember one of the girls that was in LeAnne's class. Sweet kid...kinda frumpy...and when she danced...oh my. Her hands and arms and head and legs went in completely different directions. Yes, sometimes they're supposed to when you dance, but not like this. I think she had water balloon legs and crepe paper arms that flapped wildly in the breeze. Everything just went... everywhere! This is what I look like when I do parts of this workout!!! (Have any of you seen that video by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, "Gone, Gone, Gone"? It's like becoming one of those big balloon things in the background! Check it out on You Tube to see what I mean.) But this girl in LeAnne's class always seemed to step it up for the recital. Maybe I am trying too hard, or maybe I really have lost my coordination. I don't know. I keep trying, and one of these days, I'll get it down for the "recital."

In the meantime, we're all trucking along here. Charlie has been working overtime, including Saturday mornings. The weather has been insanely inconsistent. It was 60+ degrees yesterday, and the sun was so hot. I ended up having to shut the pellet stove off when I noticed Aiden was sweating after his nap and our thermostat said 74 degrees! Gabby didn't care - she adapts to all climates. And speaking of the little honor student, she has been saying a new word almost everyday. Yesterday she said a new, complete sentence: "Geese on the pond, Daddy." Oh yeah - no exaggeration. But it was more in the form of a question, I think, seeing as she had her hand out to the side like she does when she asks where someone or something went. This kid amazes me. And I didn't know that children aren't supposed to be able to bend over at the waist and pick something up until they're 2+ years. I read that in a book that we have called "The First Five Years." No - they're supposed to squat down to pick things up at this age. Huh? She's been bending over since shortly after she started walking! Why? Because she has balance and C-O-O-R-D-I-N-A-T-I-O-N!!! Maybe that's where mine went - it transferred over to her in the womb! LOL

Have a spectacular day, everyone!

5 comments:

Alternative Reality said...

Haha! Jen -- you are the best! I will tell you though, I think if you stop doing something for a period of time, it's almost impossible to pick it back up! Last summer I tried to out dancing, I found myself on the floor with no rhythm, shaking it like a bofoon!

mar5128 said...

Co-ordination? Mine's been gone for a VERY LONG TIME!!!! Wait... did I ever have any in the first place? I'm really enjoying your blog, Jen. LeAnne's, too. I'm so WAY PROUD of my little girls, who have grown up to be VERY capable women!! When did that happen? I must have had my eyes closed for a second!! Love you

Alternative Reality said...

Haha! Just remembered...that Amanda girl was in my first dance class. Remember, the most embarassing one where mom helped us design those god awful bright green and orange bathing suits!! Also, the year of the famous baton!

mar5128 said...

I remember Amanda!! You're right. Her arms & legs WERE all over the place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Jess said...

I totally know what you mean! I got one of those videos too, same instructor, mine's the "Fat Blasting Dance Mix". I swear, it might be a 10 minute solution but it's going to take me 10 days to get it down to 10 minutes and get it right! I don't know what happened to my coordination either! I never took dance lessons, but we always did dance choreography in our choir concerts in High School and I figured that stuff out a lot quicker! There have been a couple of times I've wanted to reach into the TV and ring her skinny little neck and tell her to slow the eff down! What has happened to us in our old age? LOL